Thursday, December 10, 2009

Seomun Market

Last Sunday I ventured down to Seomun Market here in Daegu. Seomun has over 4,000 shops and is the largest Korean market in Daegu and one of the 3 largest in Korea. The market has items ranging from traditional clothing, to shoes, socks, and newer clothes, to various types of vegetables and meats, to live and dead animals such as chickens and rabbits. It reminded me of the First Monday Trade Days in Canton, TX, except it had a lot more crap. Most, if not all, of what is there is useless crap, although I am betting some of the food there is fantastic. I walked around for a few hours on the cold Sunday morning. The market is both indoor and out, and is just a huge maze of shops.

I have to say I was a little disappointed in that I didn't find much to purchase, but I was not disappointed in what I got to see. You don't see a cage of live chickens with dead chickens on top ot it often back home. I was curious how receptive they would be to taking pictures, so I quickly and slyly took a few of some interesting things (see below). I am glad I got to experience the market, but I am not sure I have a good reason to go back unless for some reason I need a live or dead rabbit in the future.






No comments: