Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Nice Surprise

I got a surprise in the mail today. My parents sent me a package, or a parcel as the Brits at work call it. I really wasn't expecting anything, and honestly it doesn't matter what is in it. Sometimes it's just nice to know that someone is thinking of you even though you might be half way around the world. Plus lately I keep seeing everyone else at work get things, so when I arrived and saw the big box on my desk I was excited. I did notice on the customs form they filled out that the small box was candy. That got me very excited because I know my mom would have sent me my favorite Christmas candy, the pepermint Christmas nougats. They are only available this time of year, and they are the best.

After lunch I was greeted with an even better surprise. There was a card on my desk when I returned. My first Christmas card in Korea. It was a nice card, with a very nice note from my parents in it, but the part that made my day was the picture of my new niece in it. She was born my first day of work in Korea so I have not got the chance to see her. That is one of the drawbacks of coming. At the very least I won't see her until she is 1 year old. I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but it is to me. I have some amazing nieces and nephews, and since I don't have kids it is important to me to have a good relationship with them. I see too many people overlook the importance of family like I did when I was younger. Now I seehow fortunate I am to have a very supportive and caring family. Not to mention my close friends, who I usually refer to as my Texas family.

I have come to realize over the past few years how important family and friends are. Without them, I don't know how I would have gotten through my divorce. Without all their support I wouldn't have been able to make this move work. Christmas will be the hardest time of year to be away from home. Thankfully with the advent of some great technology, namely Skype, I will be able to speak to my family on Christmas. Add to that the fact I have some other foreign teachers to keep me company, it should be a good day. It won't be the same as being with my family, but it should be good none-the-less.

So wherever you spend the holiday season this year, don't forget those who mean most to you wherever they are. But enjoy the company of those you will be with and try to remember the true spirit of the holiday. It is more than ribbons and bows.

Merry Christmas.
E


Pictures of my new niece Abigail Elizabeth.



1 comment:

Candice said...

Adorable! You'll see her in no time and she'll be just as gorgeous as a newborn. Hope you enjoy your holidays in SK.