Friday, November 13, 2009

An Uncle Again and Finally Start Work

So first of all is the big news of my niece being born on Wednesday. Abigail Elizabeth Bynum is the new addition to the family and I couldn't be more happier for my brother and his wife. I only wish I could have been there with everyone.

Well I started work this week. Wednesday was my first day and so far I am only observing and will be for another week before I start teaching. I think I am going to really enjoy working there. Everyone has been great so far, and the kids are a trip. I am still adjusting to the hours since I am still getting up way too early but hopefully that will change and I can get adjusted. It was nice to finally get to speak to some fellow English speakers after being here a week by myself. They also have introduced me to some really good food. Work usually starts off with lunch around 2:30 (I start work at 2pm) and the past 2 days they have taken me to some really good places. Thursday we went for Japanese food. I am still not sure what I was eating but it was really good. I know it had crab meat in it, along with rice and other goodies. It was good and spicey and very filling. It will definatley be a place to return to. That night after work many of us went for Korean BBQ. This was a treat. We ordered (I say we but really it was the other guys who did the ordering) some pork and beef and it was grilled on the table in front of us. Built into the table is a little grill where they bring hot coals and cook it in the middle of the table. The meat was fantastic but maybe even better was everything else that went with it. There was some red bean paste (very spicey and very good), along with some spicey kimchi, which seems to be a staple with every meal. Throw in some rice, bean sprouts, and other items that I am not sure what they were (but delicious none-the-less) and it was a huge meal. The best thing about it all is it's not that expensive. The Japanese place set me back about 5500 won which is $5 back home. There is no way you could get the quality of food back home for $5, not to mention the service.

Friday brought a new day and since it was raining most of us stayed in the building and went down stairs for some pasta. This is where I had the spiciest dish I have ever seen in my life (Al you would have loved it). It tasted great, but it was so hot I could not finish my dish. In fact, I ate very little of it. I figured if I eat the whole plate I will either pay for it later or just be sick all night long. So I opted to eat as much as I could without making myself miserable. A few of the ladies with me had a bite to try it and they could not believe how hot it was. Since I did not eat my entire meal, I was hungry later. So I decided to go with one of the girls from work on a little snack run. I had seen her eat this stuff before. It is like a little dumpling type thing. I still don't know what is in it but it was really good. I do not recall what it was called but if I remember right it was steamed and had some sort of meat (pork perhaps) in it with I believe some onion or something. It was really good and you got quite a few of them for only 2000 won which is really cheap. So in the past few days I have had some really good food, finally.

So that is really the update for the past few days. I don't really have any plans for the weekend. I want to go to a basketball game and thought they played at home tomorrow but it looks like I read the schedule wrong. So instead I might try and head downtown to see if I can catch some college football or something.

Till next time.
E

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

$5 for a meal like that?! You seriously won't ever need to buy groceries.

Eric said...

Yeah its great. I got some sort of tuna roll last night and it cost me just over $1. It's amazing how cheap certain things are here.

Emily said...

That all sounds amazing! And mandu, the dumplings! They're my favorite!